Speaking engagements, publications and interactions with the media
- April 22, 2016: The Commissioner gave a presentation to the Public Service Management Advisory Committee on the OIC’s investigation process.
- April 28, 2016: The Commissioner gave a keynote address to the legal counsels working in the offices of Agents of Parliament for their 2016 Professional Development Workshop.
- May 3, 2016: During the Canadian Committee for World Press Freedom’s 18th Annual World Press Freedom Day Luncheon, the Commissioner gave a keynote address on access to information and fundamental freedoms.
- May 10, 2016: The Commissioner met with the National Claims Research Directors to discuss recent developments on the access to information regime.
- May 27, 2016: The Commissioner spoke at the National Newspapers Canada Conference on freedom of information in Canada.
- May 30, 2016: The Commissioner participated in the panel “Access to Information: Historical Research under Bill C-59” at the Canadian Historical Association Annual General Meeting.
- June 1, 2016: A senior executive of the OIC gave a workshop on best practices for ombudspersons and social media during the Forum of Canadian Ombudsman Conference.
- June 16-17, 2016: The A/Assistant Commissioner gave a presentation on recent developments concerning the Access to Information Act at an access conference organized by University of Alberta IAPP Faculty of Extension.
- September 22, 2016: The Commissioner gave the keynote address at the BC Information Summit, “From Trickle to Tide: Preparing for a Wave of Transparency,” organized by BC Freedom of Information and Privacy Association. She also participated in a panel on duty to document.
- September 27, 2016: The Commissioner spoke to federal access to information professionals at the ATIP Community Meeting.
- October 10, 2016: The General Counsel met with the National Claims Research Directors at their annual meeting.
- October 19, 2016: The General Counsel gave a presentation to students in the Faculty of Law at McGill University.
- October 25, 2016: The Commissioner participated in a panel, "One Year Later: The Liberal Government’s Record on Transparency," organized by the Canadian Committee for World Press Freedom.
- October 27, 2016: The Commissioner attended the executive committee meeting of the Privacy and Access Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
- October 28, 2016: The Commissioner spoke at the Canadian Bar Association Access to Information and Privacy Law Symposium.
- November 8, 2016: The Commissioner participated in a webinar, “Access to Information at a Crossroad: The Implications of the Long-Gun Registry Case” organized by the Canadian Bar Association’s National Constitutional and Human Rights Law Section.
- November 8, 2016: The General Counsel participated in a webinar, “Key Issues in Privacy and Information Management,” organized by Osgoode Hall Law School’s Professional Development at York University.
- November 21, 2016: The Commissioner gave a presentation on open government to Carleton University students.
- November 22, 2016: The Commissioner participated in the conference “Unpacking Participatory Democracy: From Theory to Practice, and from Practice to Theory” organized by the Institute for the Study of International Development at McGill.
- November 30, 2016: The Commissioner participated in the series “Les Grands communicateurs” where she spoke about transparency and communications. The series is organized by TÉLUQ and La Toile des communicateurs and broadcast on the Internet and Canal Savoir.
- December 2, 2016: The Commissioner met with the Public Service Management Advisory Committee to give an update on the OIC’s investigation process.
- December 6, 2016: The Commissioner participated in a peer-to-peer learning session organized by the Access to Information Working Group of the Open Government Partnership.
- December 9, 2016: The Commissioner was part of the international panel “Leave No Trace: How to Combat ‘Off the Record’ Government” held during the Open Government Partnership Summit 2016.
- December 9, 2016: The A/Assistant Commissioner gave a keynote presentation on the OIC’s activities at the Canadian Access and Privacy Association Conference. The General Counsel participated in a panel, “Changes to Access to Information Act”, at this same conference.
- January 31, 2017: The General Counsel participated in an open government workshop, organized by the Public Policy Forum, where she discussed the importance of open information.
- March 31, 2017: The Commissioner participated on a panel that discussed the relationship between Parliament and the Agents of Parliament at the Canadian Study of Parliament Group.
- December 6, 2016: The Commissioner wrote an opinion piece with Aruna Roy, founding member of India’s Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan. “The Time is Right: Will Canada be a Leader in ‘Open Government’?” was published in The Hill Times.
Interactions with the media
The Commissioner is often asked to give interviews to print, radio, television and online media outlets. In 2016–2017, her media interviews were largely related to reform of the Access to Information Act. She gave eight interviews on this subject:
- April 26, 2016: CPAC
- April 27, 2016: The Hill Times
- June 16, 2016: iPolitics
- June 16, 2016: CTV Power Play
- October 18, 2016: The Hill Times
- October 18, 2016: CBC The House
- December 5, 2016: TVO’s The Agenda
- March 24, 2017: CBC The House
Previous Table of Contents Next
- Date modified: